Sie befinden sich hier: Startpage » CULTURE & TOURISM » Topics » What to Visit
Menü wird geladen ...

Opening times

9.00 - 13.00 Uhr

9.00 - 13.00 Uhr und
14.00 - 18.00 Uhr


9.00 - 13.00 Uhr und
14.00 - 16.00 Uhr

9.00 - 13.00 Uhr

jeden 1. und 3.
Sonnabend im Monat
9.00 Uhr - 12.00 Uhr

Artikel (en)

The New Town


Around the year 1,200, the Quedlinburg New Town began to develop along the walls of the Old Town behind the Mühlgraben canal. Its inhabitants came from the villages surrounding Quedlinburg, at least 15 such settlements were to be counted before the gates to the city. Political unrest and financial problems drove the population from the flat lands to seek the protection of Quedlinburg with its fortifications. Here they set up their dwellings, residential houses with large entry gates and spacious inner courtyards that were used as animal stalls and storage space for crops. The collection of simple farmers was transformed into an agricultural community with citizens who, from their new residences, expanded the extent of the lands they cultivated. The Nikolai Church stood as the point of crystallization of the municipality in its process of evolution. The town hall was located on the square before the Mathilde Fountain. The foundations of this building were unearthed several years ago in the course of street construction and once again made visible. The New Town had not only its own administration but also its own town wall with gates and towers, a number of which are still preserved. The main streets were, and still are, the Steinweg and the Pölkenstraße, which converge at the Matilde Fountain. The former presence of a Augustinien Closter in the New Town, separated from a Franciscian Closter in the Old Town only by the narrow Stobenstraße, is recalled today only in the street name \"Augustinern” in the New Town.

To be Visited in the New Town

St. Nikolai Church
The parish church of the New Town at the Mathilde Fountain is the largest church in Quedlinburg and, with its 72 meter high towers, dominates over all other churches in the town (with the exception of Saint Servatius on the Castle-Hill). According to accounts of its construction, it was built up on pillars of erle-tree trunks that were driven into the swampy underground of the original river bed of the Bode. There are but sparce remnants of the initial Romanesque structure to be found in the church today. In the course of numerous reconstructions and changes in building design, there emerged the present day Gothic hall church. The interior is for the most part Baroque. The organ, like the organ in the market church, was built by the organ firm Rover. The Nikolai Church is an evangelical parish church.

City Towers \"Behind the Wall” (Zwischen den Städten 2 and 3)
Along the eastern portion of the city wall of the New Town three watch towers remain. The Swineherd Watch Tower was later incorporated into a small group of houses and used for residential purposes. The Geese Watch Tower has retained for the most part in its original structure. The Tower n’ Tittenplan was transformed around 1900.

The Birthhouse of Dorothea Christiana Erxleben (Steinweg 51)
In this house Dorothea Christiana Erxleben was born on November 13, 1715 as the daughter of the physician Dr. Christian Polycarp Leporin. It has been restored and renovated by the Quedlinburg hospital (Klinikum Dorothea Erxleben) into a small but exquisite hotel.

New Town Churchyard 7
One of the oldest half-timbered houses in the New Town is the building at the passageway from the New Town Churchyard to the street \"Konvent.” Stylistically seen, it marks a point of transition from the vertical beam constructions to the subsequent construction of houses with multiple stories. A dendrochronical examination of the beam dates it back to the year of 1420.
Particularly beautiful half-timbered houses in the New Town are to be found in the \"Steinweg,” the \"Ballstraße,” the \"Kaiserstraße,” the \"Augustinern,” the \"Pölkenstraße” and in the vicinity of the Mathilde Fountain.

Zurück | drucken