The parish of St. Blasii to Quedlinburg
Only few meters from the market square stands the massiv sandstone facade of the parish church of St. Blasii.
The church is one of the smallest and no doubt one of the oldest parish churches in town.
Inside the late Romanesque belfry we can find the remains of a village church from the end of the 10th century. The first church building here might have been in the style of en Eastphalain village church hence a belfry adjoined by an one-nave hall-type church.
1231 the church was first mentioned in writing, when Arnoldus of St. Blasii was nemed.
From 1268 the church was rebuilt as a three-nave, flat roof, Gothic basilica. At the same time the Romanesque belfry was raised by one level.
In the 15th century the belfry´s roof was changed from a former hip roof into the still present twin helm roof and thus reaches a height of 28.5m. 1714-1717 the new building of the church went on its way. A new nave was built, in the shape of a long stretched octagon, influenced by the Northern Italian baroque.The Classical portals are noteworthy.
The Baroque building
The architect of the delightful new building is unknown, but probably came from Italy. The structure and interior of the church makr up a harmonic entity that is not to find in any other church in town.
The interior is given distinction by the galleries which are to find on three sides and incorpo-rate the organ front, all made from untreated pine timber. Made from the same kind of timber are the so called `Priechen` - the bench cases in the nave.
In colourful contrast stands the altar wall with ist embedded pulpit.
It was built by Quedlinburg artists according to a design by Johann Heinrich Hoffmann, mas-ter builder of Saxony-Anhalt. 1723 the altar was consecrated.
The organ is hidden behind the Baroque, richly acanthus and foliage decorated organ front. It was made in the workshop of the organ builder Röver from near by Hausneindorf.
The organ´s restoration was finished 2000 and the organ was re-inaugurated during a gala concert.
The Epitaph of the late "Stiftshauptmann" Hans von Wulffen (the convent´s catain) who died in 1581 is to find on the northern side wall since it was transferred into the Baroque building. The deceased´s family is depicted praying under the cross.
A voluminous inscription dignifies his meritoriousness and heroic deeds in the service of the Saxon protector, who as gratitude gave the "Fleischhof" to him 1567 (a noble estate).
The crucifix from 1520 belongs to the medieval interior as well.
Ways to use the building
Already before the founding of the Ottonain market Blasii church might have been a parish church of a village.
The parish included the area of nowadays market square, which was still beyond "murus fo-rensis" (the market wall) back then. Also after the inclusion of the permanently growing mer-chants´settlement the boundary went along Hohe Straße, Markt, Steinbrücke and Blasiistraße.
Storied pastors of St. Blasii in this town are Winnigstädt, as author of one of the oldest chro-nicles of the town (about 1540), Sturk, who celebrated the sacraments the Lutheran way for the first time and thus introduced the reformation of the churches in Quedlinburg and the na-turalist J.A.E. Goeze (18th century).
After the dead of the protector Georg of Saxony Blasii church became a Protestant prish church 1539 what it remained till after WWII.
When the parish of St. Servatii was expelled by the SS in 1938, it found a new home in St. Blasii till 1945
But since 1952 the church St. Blasii was vacant and abandoned to disrepair. The sparse main-tenance was not enough to stop the decline.
But the financial aid and resources of Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz restoration and repair of the roof, the windows and the interior started 1992. Most of the work is finished.
The church St. Blasii was given into the town´s usage as a concert and exhibition hall by the Protestant parish St Blasii in 1991.
In May 1994, at the 1000th anniversary of the receiving of the rights to hold up markets, mint and issus coins and collect taxes it was possible to hand over the St. Blasii church to the pub-lic.
Day after day (except Thursdays) the church is open throughout the year and is seen by many tourists.
Annually from April to November the town Quedlinburg arranges and stages weekly events- organs concerts as well as classical-, folk- and jazz music concerts, literary-, theatre- and ca-baret events and eyhibitions.
Due to the installation of a system of sear heating in the bench cases it was possible to stretch the event season beyond the summer months since 2001